Saturday 16 July 2011

Weekend Shenanigans

Now I had some plans for last weekend because as usual DS was off sailing, this time at Carsington in Derbyshire, he does get around!
So if the weather was dry DD and I were going to go on a family friendly walk round some of the countryside. I had found on our local council website a list and maps of several walks in the area and had chosen the shorter walk round Bosworth Battlefield, Sutton Cheney Wharf and an old railway line to Shenton Station. Don't you just love the picture of the cow in the field, it made me chuckle.
But it didn't happen!!
Now I expected to say that the weather foiled us but no it was a lovely sunny, dry day and the perfect weather to go and stop for a picnic on the way round. No it was getting there.
My car failed its MOT!!! Aargh!!!
So as OH and DS were swanning off round a reservoir DD and I were stuck at home. Not that it was that great a hardship but still I was looking forward to a brisk walk and simple summer picnic by the water.
So we consoled ourselves with a bus ride into the city, a novelty in itself as we never go by bus and some crafty shopping.
I have being buying the new magazine Mollie Makes which is right up my street, such inspiration, ideas, designs and pictures to ooh and aah at. Have you seen it, it's definitely worth a browse if you're into crafting especially sewing.


Mollie Makes Magazine


There are some great makes in here so while we were consoling ourselves we took a trip to Leicester Market, more specifically Stuart's Fabrics. We were looking for felt as this really comes in handy. Especially when you see these:-

Felt Creatures

How cute are they!!!
I didn't realise how expensive (in my opinion anyway) felt is, even polyester felt not the good old wool felt which I'd prefer to use. So we opted for the cheaper fleece instead to make soft squishy critters. We bought 1/2 a metre each of 6 colours and they are so scrummy - lilac, pale blue, cream, red, lime green and dark grey.

We finally managed to get home with our rather large bag full of fleece. The magazine was pulled out straight away and the templates sorted. Now this magazine has the templates in the back and the majority have to be enlarged by 200% which really annoys me. Don't they realise projects have to be started straight away and no faffing about trying to get the templates enlarged! Well actually they do, the bonus is you can download the templates from the website the right size and they fit on an A4 sheet of paper....Perfect!

DD decided she wanted to make the elephant, want to see how far she got:

Ellie

Yep the cutting out, she got bored after this and didn't fancy the sewing up. Oh well, its there for another day.
Especially as they have broken up for school holidays now.
Woohoo for no routine and getting up early but what to do for 7 whole weeks. I'd better get my thinking cap on.

xxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment